Before you go, make sure you check out the different penalties and fines that apply when you drive outside of Queensland. Road rules interstate and overseas can vary, so make sure you understand the rules of your holiday destination before you set off on an epic road trip.
Information for interstate drivers in each state or territory can be found below:
Hitting the road when you’re overseas? Get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you leave and have more freedom to explore.
Before you head off overseas check if you need an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP lets you drive internationally without needing to sit any extra tests. You’ll need an IDP when you’re driving in some countries so it’s best to get one before you leave.
It can also act as a source of ID, and comes in nine different languages. Acting as proof that you hold a valid Australian driver licence, it’s an extra form of recognised ID apart from your passport, and is accepted in over 150 countries worldwide.
Don’t know if you need an IDP? Check the IDP country directory.
Get your IDP
You’ll need to have the following handy when applying;
- Recent photo
- Drivers licence
- Payment (IDP’s are $39*)
- You’ll need to be over 18 years
*price subject to change without notice.
Apply for your IDP online, or at an RACQ branch.
Key facts about International Drivers Permits include:
- They are not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence - you must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times.
- They do not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
- Valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever is the lesser period).
- Cannot be post-dated.
- May be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP, but if you're resident overseas for more than 12 months you should apply for a local licence.
- Can only be issued to drivers holding a current Australian state/territory driving licence (not an overseas driving licence).
- Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age (includes provisional licence or P plate).
- Cannot be issued to people who hold a learner driver permit.
- Is a helpful form of identification, even if you don't intend on driving when you travel overseas.
- Is officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification.
- Allows you to carry your identification details in nine languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, German and Japanese), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.
- Gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).
When you join Free2Go you'll get access to amazing discounts, benefits and member only competitions for free!
12 months free Roadside available to 17 year olds. 2 years half-price Roadside Assistance available to 18 & 19 year olds. To join Free2Go, you must be living in Queensland and be 16-19 years old or attend year 11 or 12 at a Queensland high school. Banking and loan products issued by Members Banking Group Limited ABN 83 087 651 054 AFSL/Australian credit licence 241195 trading as RACQ Bank. Terms, conditions, fees, charges and lending policies apply. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Read the disclosure documents for your selected product or service, including the Financial Services Guide and the Terms and Conditions, before deciding.
Limits, exclusions & conditions apply. RACQ Operations Pty Ltd (ABN 80 009 663 414, AR 234978) is an authorised representative of Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd (Tokio Marine & Nichido) ABN 80 000 438 291 AFSL 246548, the insurer underwriting this product. This is general advice only. We do not provide any advice based on any consideration to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please review your own needs and the combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide before deciding to buy this insurance.
Insurance products, excluding travel insurance, issued by RACQ Insurance Limited ABN 50 009 704 152. Conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Read the PDS before making a purchase decision. Ask us for a copy. Except for RACQ Bank, any RACQ entity referred to on this page is not an authorised deposit-taking institution for the purposes of the Banking Act 1959 (Cth). That entity’s obligations do not represent deposits or other liabilities of RACQ Bank. RACQ Bank does not guarantee or otherwise provide assurance in respect of the obligations of that entity, unless noted otherwise.