Before you head overseas, it’s best to check whether you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP). There are many destinations where an IDP is required if you want to hire a vehicle.
An IDP allows tourists to drive internationally without having to take further tests or applications. It’s valid for 12 months from the date of issue, or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever expires first).
What you’ll need
- You must be over 18 years of age
- Hold a valid Australian state/territory licence (you’ll need to be on your Ps or Open Licence)
- Provide two passport size coloured photos taken within the last 12 months.
How to get your IDP
Even if you’re not an RACQ member, we can help you with an IDP application. Just head into your local RACQ store with your Australian licence and passport photos and we’ll help you out.
Or you can send your application to us by post. Just download an application form, fill it out, and send it to us at:
PO Box 4
For postal applications all accompanying documents must be certified by a Justice of the Peace.
How much is it?
- International Driving Permits = $39.00 (Inc. GST)
- Passport Size Photos (Members) = $9.95 (Inc. GST)
- Passport Size Photos (Non-members) = $12.95 (Inc. GST)
For further information about IDP’s, head to the RACQ website.