Before you head off overseas check if you need an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP lets you drive internationally without needing to sit any extra tests. You’ll need an IDP when you’re driving in some countries so it’s best to get one before you leave. Start your OE the right way with an IDP.

Why get an IDP?

  • Drive in most countries
  • No extra tests needed
  • Source of ID written in over 9 languages
  • Extra protection if you give up your passport
  • Proof you hold a valid Australian driver’s licence
  • Accepted in over 150 countries

Don’t know if you need an IDP? Check the IDP country directory.

Get your IDP

Apply for your IDP online, anytime.

Apply online now

You’ll need to have the following handy when applying;

  • Recent photo
  • Drivers licence
  • Payment (IDP’s are $39*)
  • You’ll need to be over 18 years

*price subject to change without notice.

Don’t want to apply online?

You can apply at an RACQ branch or by post if you complete the IDP application form.

More info on IDP’s

Key facts about International Drivers Permits include:

  • They are not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence - you must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times.
  • They do not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
  • Valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever is the lesser period).
  • Cannot be post-dated.
  • May be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP, but if you're resident overseas for more than 12 months you should apply for a local licence.
  • Can only be issued to drivers holding a current Australian state/territory driving licence (not an overseas driving licence).
  • Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age (includes provisional licence or P plate).
  • Cannot be issued to people who hold a learner driver permit.
  • Is a helpful form of identification, even if you don't intend on driving when you travel overseas.
  • Is officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification.
  • Allows you to carry your identification details in nine languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, German and Japanese), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.
  • Gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).